Apply for the Fellowship Programme 2018
The Institute's Fellowship programme funds researchers in exchange for their expertise and advice.
The main goals of the Programme are gathering intelligence about research and software from all disciplines, encouraging Fellows to develop their interests in the area of software sustainability (especially in their areas of research) and aid them as ambassadors of good software practice in their domains. The programme also supports capacity building and policy development initiatives.
Each Fellow is allocated £3,000 to spend over fifteen months. The funding is flexible to support activities that are beneficial to both the Fellows’ and the Institute's aims: for instance, to fund travel to conferences, to setup and run workshops, to organise software sustainability sessions at domain conferences, or to host, organise or teach training events, such as Software Carpentry, Data Carpentry or Library Carpentry.
Fellows are drawn from a wide range of areas, experience, and career stages.
As an introduction to the Institute, learn about the Fellowship Programme and hear the views of current Fellows, please see the recording of the Fellows 2018 launch webinar.
You can also read about what it's like being a Fellow from a Scientific perspective and a Humanities perspective.
Fellows 2018 Programme
Applications are now open for the Fellowship Programme 2018—Apply now!
Who is eligible?
If you are:
- Based on the UK or collaborating with a group based on the UK
- A researcher who uses software
- A developer who writes tools for researchers
- A research software engineer who supports the work of researchers with software
- An advocate for best practice in software use for your research domain
- In a leadership role in projects or organisations that make heavy use of software
- A user of research software
- Passionate about software in research in any way,
then the Fellowship Programme will be of interest to you. Please see the FAQ for more details about eligibility.
- Friday, 25 August 2017 - Fellowship 2018 applications open
- Friday, 15 September 2017 - Fellowship 2018 Launch Webinar
- Monday, 9 October 2017 - Fellowship 2018 applications close at 11.59pm BST
- Tuesday, 31 October 2017 - Shortlist announced
- Wednesday, 8 November 2017 - Online Selection day (10.30am to 4.00pm)
- Friday, 24 November 2017 - Offers of fellowships to successful candidates
- Friday, 8 December 2017 - Official announcement of 2018 Fellows
More about the Fellowship
Fellows come from a variety of career stages, they demonstrate a passion for their area, the ability to communicate ideas effectively, and a real interest in the role of software in research. Fellows are empowered to talk about software in their research domain to a wider audience, network with others who share a passion for software in research, and learn key skills that benefit them and their collaborators.
If you have questions about the Fellowship, please let us know by email.
Current Fellows Profiles
Please take a moment to read the Institute's Fellows' profiles this will help you understand the broad spectrum of domains and career stages (from PhD student though to Professor) from which we select those who have a passion for research software.