The Institute's Fellowship programme funds researchers in exchange for their expertise and advice.
The main goals of the Programme are gathering intelligence about research and software from all disciplines, encouraging Fellows to develop their interests in the area of software sustainability (especially in their areas of work) and aiding the Fellows as ambassadors of good software practice in their domains. The programme also support capacity building and policy development initiatives.
Each Fellow is allocated £3,000 to spend over fifteen months. The funding is flexible to support activities that are beneficial to both the Fellows and the Institute's aims: for instance, to fund travel to conferences, to setup and run workshops, to organise software sustainability sessions at domain conferences, or to host, organise or teach at Software Carpentry or similar training events.
Fellows are drawn from a wide range of areas, experience, and career stages.
To get an introduction to the Institute, learn about the fellowship programme and hear the views of current Fellows please see the Fellows 2016 Webinar recording.
Who is it for
If you are:
- A researcher who uses software.
- A developer who writes tools for researchers.
- A research software engineer who supports the work of researchers with software.
- An advocate for best practice in software use for your research domain.
- In a leadership role in projects or organisations that make heavy use of software.
- A user of research software.
- Passionate about software in research in any way.
... then the Fellowship Programme will be of interest to you.
Fellow 2016 Application
Applications for the Fellows 2016 programme are now closed.
- Friday August 28th 2015 - Fellows 2016 applications open
- Friday September 11th 2015 - Fellows 2016 launch webinar (recording available)
Thursday October 1st 2015 at 11pm BST- Application deadline extended to 11.59pm BT Sunday October 4th 2015
- Thursday October 22nd 2015 - shortlist announced
- Wednesday November 4th 2015 - face to face selection day at University of Manchester (10.00am to 4.30pm, travel/accommodation paid for by the Institute)
- Friday November 27th 2015 - offers of fellowships to successful candidates
- Friday December 4th 2015 - official announcement of 2016 Fellows
More about Fellowship
Fellows come from a variety of career stages, they demonstrate a passion for their area, the ability to communicate ideas effectively, and a real interest in the role of software in research. Fellows are empowered to talk about software in their research domain to a wider audience, network with others who share a passion about software in research, and learn key skills that benefit them and their collaborators.
You have to be a UK based researcher when applying for Fellowship, but once you are a Fellow even after your initial funding period you remain a Fellow even if you are then based outside of the UK (terms and conditions do apply). Please see the FAQ for more details about eligibility.
If you have questions about the Fellowship, please fellows-management [at] software [dot] ac [dot] uk (let us know by email).
Current Fellows Profiles
Please take a moment to read the Institute's Fellows profiles this will help you understand the broad spectrum of domains and career stages (from PhD student though to Professor) from which we select those who have a passion for research software.
Last updated: Monday 5 October 2015.