Applications for the 2017 programme are now open!
The Institute's Fellowship programme funds researchers in exchange for their expertise and advice.
The main goals of the Programme are gathering intelligence about research and software from all disciplines, encouraging Fellows to develop their interests in the area of software sustainability (especially in their areas of work) and aiding the Fellows as ambassadors of good software practice in their domains. The programme also support capacity building and policy development initiatives.
Each Fellow is allocated £3,000 to spend over fifteen months. The funding is flexible to support activities that are beneficial to both the Fellow's and the Institute's aims: for instance, to fund travel to conferences, to setup and run workshops, to organise software sustainability sessions at domain conferences, or to host, organise or teach at Software Carpentry or similar training events.
Fellows are drawn from a wide range of areas, experience, and career stages.
To get an introduction to the Institute, learn about the fellowship programme and hear the views of current Fellows, please attend the Fellows 2017 webinar on Friday 9 September from 3.00pm-4.30pm
Who is eligible?
If you are:
- A researcher who uses software
- A developer who writes tools for researchers
- A research software engineer who supports the work of researchers with software
- An advocate for best practice in software use for your research domain
- In a leadership role in projects or organisations that make heavy use of software
- A user of research software
- Passionate about software in research in any way,
then the Fellowship Programme will be of interest to you.
Fellows 2017 Application Process
Applications are now open for the Fellowship Programme 2017- Apply now!
The timetable for the Fellows 2017 programme is listed below.
- Wednesday August 24th 2016 - Fellows 2017 applications open
- Friday September 9th 2016 - Fellows 2017 launch webinar
- Sunday 2nd October 2016 - Applications close at 11.59pm BST
- Thursday October 20th 2016 - Shortlist announced
- Wednesday November 2nd 2016 - Face to face selection day at University of Manchester (10.00am to 5.00pm, travel/accommodation paid for by the Institute)
- Friday November 25th 2016 - Offers of fellowships to successful candidates
- Friday December 9th 2016 - Official announcement of 2017 Fellows
More about Fellowship
Fellows come from a variety of career stages, they demonstrate a passion for their area, the ability to communicate ideas effectively, and a real interest in the role of software in research. Fellows are empowered to talk about software in their research domain to a wider audience, network with others who share a passion for software in research, and learn key skills that benefit them and their collaborators.
You have to be a UK based researcher when applying for Fellowship, but once you are a Fellow even after your initial funding period you remain a Fellow even if you are then based outside of the UK (terms and conditions do apply). Please see the FAQ for more details about eligibility.
If you have questions about the Fellowship, please let us know by email.
Current Fellows Profiles
Please take a moment to read the Institute's Fellows' profiles this will help you understand the broad spectrum of domains and career stages (from PhD student though to Professor) from which we select those who have a passion for research software.